Monday, November 16, 2009

Modern Warfare: part 2, A My thoughts.

Having played Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and loving every aspect of it, the very idea of the same developer, Infinity Ward, making a sequel had me reserve my copy the second I got the chance. All of the trailers and websites could not satiate my hunger to shoot someone in the face. Oh, sure, I tried playing COD: World at War, a very nice WWII sequel and I even replayed the first Modern Warfare, yet it was not enough. I patiently awaited the game's release on the 10th of November. And then it came out....and if I may use an old adage, the wait was well worth it.

Single Player

Let me start with the single player campaign, amazing. That's really all I should need to say, but I guess I can go on. Infinity Ward really shocked the FPS world with their last game's epic telling of two men fighting for the safety of the world, and the hidden war that happens behind the scenes while other sleep at night. The way the campaign flowed, as if you were saving the world from over ambitious terrorists and not only was your life on the line, but the lives of millions. The sequel picks up 5 years after the first game and goes into another plot of espionage and terrorism abroad. I really cannot go too much into the single player campaign, because every detail is pretty crucial and discussing it can ruin the experience. I can say that there are even more sniping sequences (because how can you hate those?), a wider variety of weapons and attachments for said weapons, and a larger focus on the sheer scale of the “war” you spec ops group has gotten itself into. As for the difficulty yeah, ummm....hard. I beat the game on normal, and albeit it'll only take you a solid, I dunno, four to three hours playing the game, depending on how many times you die. So the game is relatively short, but there is enough content to make it a very enjoyable. But, the single player campaign is about, I dunno, 10% of the reason I bought the game.

Multiplayer

The real meat of this game is its multiplayer. It's everything the first game was and so much more. The depth of the weapons, the perks even have upgardes to better perks. Your killstreak is now even customizable to your liking and playstyle, but you still have to unlock the good stuff and actually earn the killstreak bonus. For instance, the AC-130 gunship is now a killstreak bonus, but you have to get 11 kills in a row to use it, but when you do, the enemy has about 30 seconds of shear airborne terror to deal with. Then there's the 25 killstreak unlock of a tactical nuke....I haven't been hit with that that, but it ends the game if someone uses it. The weapons from the last game got a noticeable boost, also. For Instance, I am using an M4A1 with an Holographic sight, my sidearm is the PPMS (I think that's what it is, I am typing this away from the game), frag grenade and flashbangs with the following perks: Steady Aim-Sleight of Hand-Stopping Power-Painkiller and my Kill Streak perks are UAV-Care Package- and Predator (just unlocked Sentry but haven't used it yet). Now this is a very basic loadout and still I am having no trouble laying the smackdown on enemies from near or far. So anything thats fits you play style, their will probably be a weapon for it. As a matter of fact, my gamertag is ExploderBlade, so feel free to challenge me and I will show you that a simple loadout is just fine. I was completely enamored by how simple the UI is now while in multiplayer (there's an XP bar at the bottom!) and even the point system has been tweaked. I swear, you get points for just standing there, but really, you get points for shooting someone from more than 200 meters, bonus for headshot kills, bonus for one shot kills (even if it's a headshot) bonus for killing the person that killed you, the list goes on. And all these points can be used to level up and get some new unlocks and rank.

To wrap it up, my one complaint about the game is how addicting it is, about killed one Sunday morning playing the game. I mean, if you like FPS, you may end up dedicating time to this lovely gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment