Sunday, December 6, 2009

From Z to A.

So surprise, surprise, Microsoft gave me the finger. Allow me to explain.
I cleared my XP computer and added Windows 7 on to it (sidebar, go to Microsoft.Com and look up how to get Windows 7 for $30 if you are a student. It's legit, safe, and they mail you a back-up disc). So I had to do a clean swipe of my hardrive to install it, with hard drive back-up of course. This worked out quite well, and I am most pleased with 7, it's fast and very efficient. Unfortunately, Zune Marketplace no longer wants to work... Apparently, Zune Marketplace doesn't like to to load on to certain computers for apparently no reason at all. Worst yet, you can't load anything or take anything from one's Zune without Marketplace installed on your PC somehow.
Now, this is a known problem to Microsoft, but unfortunately, their only reccomendation to resolve this issue is to either buy a new Zune HD, which comes with the installation DISC, or buy a new computer. That's it. No other options. So my 30GB Zune I specifically bought for ease of use over anything Apple shells out, is now incapable of loading or unloading anything in it, save for the content inside it already.
To Microsoft, I say this, "You fu**ed up." I had real faith in the Zune market, but no more. So, since I like podcasts and needs me music, I decided I may as well try out an iPod Touch. The day I was going to buy one, I saw a new item that was being sold at ye olde local RadioShack, the Archos 5 Internet Tablet. After a bit of research through ye olde intarweb, it seems it's has an Andriod OS installed and apparently a decnt media player running the Linux kernal. Sold!
So here is what I thinks of the device, it is a powerful media player. It has WiFi, a large ( I do mean large) 4.8" resistive touch, some pre-installed, somewhat useful apps (like Twitdroid, a music mixer, Browser, amongst others), and a video player. Now, it says the built-in speaker is supposed to play sound out-loud, I don't know if mine is not workin' but it seems the Android one just records through the speaker. It really hasn't bothered me that much since it comes with headphones and I have an auxillary cable to play it through my car speakers. Now, you can put podcasts on the thing, but you basically have to download an app for it. I have been using A-Cast, it seems to work out pretty well, but it won't find like iPod or Zune exclusive ones. Something annoying, though it is running the Andriod, Google Marketplace is not on the device, though it can be hacked on there. I tried hacking it on there, but it's a little more complicated than the instructions make it out to be. I will try again later, and give an ecstatic woo once it works. But for right now, it comes with Appslib, which I guess stands for Application Library, and there are loads of free apps on there, but it's nothing compared to the over 10,000 on the Andriod Marketplace. It's open development, too, much like the Andriod marketplace.
All in all, the device is responsive, easy to throw lot's of apps on, the 8GB internal flash drive is expanadble with a microSD card slot, so you never really loss that much space. My one complaint is the lack of speaker, but with my headphones, it's not terrible. Bonus, it has a DVR and channel tuner, but you have to pay extra for the HD DVR stand. Also, it has a GPS reciever with voice guided directions, but you have to pay an extra $39.99 for that, unforunately. You do get a seven day free trial, but I haven't tested it to give my true opinion. Extra bonus, if you don't have an auxillary port in your car, it comes with an FM transmitter built-in. As for mention of the battery life, if you only play music, you'll get about 22 hours out of it. If you listen to music while using the WiFi for web browsing, ahorten it to around 8.

All in all, I'd say it's an excellent purchase for someone looking for a good media experience, a good browsing experience, but don't rely on it it to replace your smartphone, or netbook, just for entertainment and very lite workload.

No comments:

Post a Comment